ant-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: AW: style task disagreeing with xalan and saxon
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 05:20:35 GMT

Keep in mind that the packages in xml-apis.jar and in xalan.jar are
"endorsed packages".  As such, unless Ant sets the endorsed directory like
Tomcat does, the *only* way you will get your desired behavior under
j2sdk1.4+ is if you put your preferred versions of these libraries in
JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/endorsed.  At that point, it doesn't much matter what is
in ANT_HOME/lib, although you will need to have xercesImpl.jar somewhere
(doesn't need to be in jre/lib/endorsed since the JDK doesn't include
xerces as it does xalan and the various xml-related standards packages).

I would suggest that Ant might want to set up an "endorsed" directory
(eg...  "ANT_HOME/endorsed" where, minimally, xml-apis.jar would go by
default and would be the appropriate place to put xalan.jar and probably
xercesImpl.jar in case a non-preferred version already exists in
JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/endorsed for some reason) since it is so common to need
newer versions of endorsed libraries than the JDK provides.  Why hasn't
this been done in Ant yet?  Has no one suggested it before?

Jake