ant-user mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schu...@comcast.net>
Subject <ant> task result?
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:14:34 GMT
All,
I have searched the archives and found a possible course of action, but
I wanted to run it by everyone and see if there was a better way to do it.

I am re-vamping the nightly build for my project. The project itself
uses ant, and I will be using ant for the nightly build as well. What
I'd like to do is have a separate build script that will start a
recorder, do a cvs checkout, compile, unit test, etc. ultimately ending
up with a deployment to our test server.

I have something like this:

<target name="build" depends="start-recorder">
	<ant dir="${app-name} antfile="build.xml"
		target="compile"
		inheritall="false" />

	<ant dir="${app-name} antfile="build.xml"
		target="test"
		inheritall="false" />

	.
	.
	.
	<!-- Email the results -->
	<mail .... />
</target>

The thing is, I'd like to bail out if the compile fails, and still send
the email. From a shell-script, I would just check the exit code of the
task and jump to the mail task, but it looks like I can't do that here.

I found Antelope's <AntFetch> task, but that will require me to modify
the build script for my application just so that the nightly build
script can read properties from it (like, I'd set "compile.success"
after the <javac> task in the build script, then check its value in the
night build script).

Is this the best way to do this? What other options do I have? Should I
consider just dropping ant and using straight shell scripts for the
nightly build?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-chris