ant-user mailing list archives

From Dale Anson <dan...@germane-software.com>
Subject Re: "ant -n", How to display tasks and args WITHOUT executing them
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 18:01:36 GMT
You might want to look at Antelope (http://antelope.sourceforge.net). It
has a 'trace' mode that does what you're looking for, that is, it shows
what would happen without it actually happening. Below is an example
output for a plugin that I'm working on for jEdit.

As Stefan mentioned, this is not simple. This works pretty well with Ant
1.5.x, not so well with Ant 1.6, so your mileage may vary.

Tracing target: plugin

Legend: <target>[task]

<plugin>

<init>[fail unless="jedit.install.dir" message="Please set
jedit.install.dir property."]

<init>[mkdir dir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\src"]

<init>[mkdir dir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\classes"]

<init>[mkdir dir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\docs"]

<init>[mkdir dir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\config"]

<init>[mkdir dir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\dist"]

<init>[fail unless="jedit.install.dir" message="Please set
jedit.install.dir property."]

<init>[mkdir dir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\src"]

<init>[mkdir dir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\classes"]

<init>[mkdir dir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\docs"]

<init>[mkdir dir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\config"]

<init>[mkdir dir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\dist"]

<compile>[echo]

<compile>[javac deprecation="on" debug="on" nowarn="on"
destdir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\classes"
srcdir="C:\Documents and Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\src"]

<prep_files>[echo]

<prep_files>[delete]

<prep_files>[copy todir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\config"]

<prep_files>[copy todir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\docs" overwrite="yes"]

<prep_files>[replace dir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\config"
token="@@build.num@@" value="1.0.1"]

<prep_files>[replace dir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\docs"
token="@@build.num@@" value="1.0.1"]

<prep_files>[tstamp]

<prep_files>[replace dir="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\docs" token="@@tstamp@@"
value="${TODAY}"]

<plugin>[echo]

<plugin>[tstamp]

<plugin>[jar jarfile="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\dist/NavigatorPlugin.jar"]

<plugin>[copy file="C:\Documents and
Settings\danson\src\plugins\plugins\Navigator\dist/NavigatorPlugin.jar"
todir="C:\Documents and Settings\danson/.jedit/jars"]

</plugin>

Done tracing target: plugin

Olivier Vierlinck wrote:

> Yes -debug is really good... but tasks are executed!!
>
> So,
> - if something is wrong, it's to late!
> - executing task might be time too consuming when one just wants to get the dependencies,
not the job done
> But anyway, I guess I don't have to convince you of the usefulnes of the "make -n"  ;-)
>
> And about the extension of tasks, this can be a new method in the base Task class. We
can not force someone to provide useful implementation, just ask for it!! Anyway, this would
be a nice add-on but less important than the 'kernel' ant dependency graph mentionned above...