ant-user mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Could Ant build scripts be compiled?
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:44:32 GMT
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 03:31 am, Clifton Craig wrote:
> I thought about this too. It is indeed very interesting. One thing that
> would suffer is the ability for build files to generate build files (using
> XSLT or whatever means) which could be directly executed by the Ant

I've done something like this once

An XSL to convert a build to a Java class
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/proposal/mutant/build/Attic/bootstrap.xsl?rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

The resulting generated class
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/ant/proposal/mutant/src/java/bootstrap/org/apache/ant/builder/Attic/MutantBuilder.java?rev=1.7

This was for bootstrapping so it tended to avoid using too many Ant classes.

Overall, I'm not sure I would recommend this approach. If performance is the
issue, I'd want to understand the nature of the performance problems first.
i.e. is XML parsing the real bottleneck?

Conor