ant-user mailing list archives

From Robert Clark <Robert.Cl...@quest.com>
Subject Re: Install problem "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError" Fix
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 00:06:21 GMT
On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 18:59, Michael Martinez wrote:
>  >Another possibility is that you might have ANT_HOME defined in your
>  >environment and pointing to an incorrect location. Try clearing it from
>  >your environment and running Ant again.
>
> Thanks,
>
>     That was it. But I am perplexed my  ANT_HOME setting
>     was this:

Good to hear.

> > export ANT_HOME=/user/local/src/ANT
>
>     I changed it with a command line
>     > export ANT_HOME=
>
>     And ant -version  worked....
>
>     Why?  How does it know the ANT_HOME...?

If you check the ant shell script and search for ANT_HOME, you
will see that if ANT_HOME is not set when the script starts, it
will try to figure it out. It does this by guessing a couple
of likely locations and if that does not work, then it works
backward from where the script is located.

I generally do not set ANT_HOME unless there is a chance that
the script would guess the wrong value.

- Rob