ant-user mailing list archives

From Chris Wood <ch...@thesprocket.org>
Subject exec and shell scripts
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:50:15 GMT
Hi all,

I want to use an ant script to call a shell script on a Unix platform
(doesn't seem to matter which - we use Linux, Solaris and AIX and have
the same problem on all).

The problem I have is that the shell script is actually a script in one
of the rc directories - in other words it starts a daemon on the
machine.
When I run the shell script from a shell on the machine it starts the
daemon as a new process and then returns to the command prompt.

If I try to run the same script in ant 1.5.1 using exec, then the exec
never returns. If I do a Ctrl-C after a few seconds then the ant script
terminates and my daemon has started. This isn't pretty tho - It'd be
really useful for me if the exec returned.

I've come across similar looking issues on Unixes before - you start a
process in a remote shell, and when you try and close the shell it hangs
as you still have a running process. This doesn't often seem to happen
to me with daemon start scripts tho.

Does anyone know if this is the same problem?
Anyone got any ideas how to get round it?

Cheers,

Chris