ant-user mailing list archives

From Antoine Lévy-Lambert <anto...@antbuild.com>
Subject AW: Hi, and a netware specific question...
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:05:34 GMT
Hi Chris,

Ideas :

- invoking ant from perl rather than directly from the command line might
create some special issues concerning input-output (just a guess, I do not
know this topic perfectly),

- ant1.6 contains changes in input/output handling compared to ant1.5.x

What you could try :

1) make a small build file with just an input task in it

2) run this build file with ant -verbose directly from the command prompt
against ant 1.5

3) run the build file also with ant -verbose directly from the command
prompt against ant1.6beta2

See the output, and if in all scenarios you have problems, come back to the
list with the output of ant -verbose in both ant 1.5 and ant1.6beta2

Cheers,
Antoine

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Chris Wood [mailto:chris@thesprocket.org]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 23. Oktober 2003 16:33
An: user@ant.apache.org
Betreff: Hi, and a netware specific question...

Hi all,

I'm new to this list, but have been using ant for a year now.
At ${job} we use ant to both build our java software and to act as the
core for a platform-netural installer.

It works wonderfully in the main, so thanks deservedly go to all those
involved.

The 1000 or so lines of ant build.xml that comprises the installer works
really well too, but with a few little niggles that tend to only show up
on one platform or another.

The main platform I see issues with is Netware, and so that's the area
I'll ask about.
We currently have Netware 6 sp3, but going forward we'd like the
installer to work with 6.5 as well.
We're using ant 1.5.3-1, against the netware stock jdk1.3.1_06.
To get out installer working on netware, I've had to write a perl script
that sets some env vars then calls the provided perl script ant.pl. Fun,
but not the problem I need to ask about.

The big problem we see is this:
We need to gather some info for the install procedure, and use the input
task to do this.
On Netware, however, whenever the script hits an input task, java dumps
with a stack trace.
Here's an example:
--
pause:
    [input] Continue with install? (y,n)
        at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(InputStreamReader.java:249)
        at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(BufferedReader.java:139)
        at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:299)
        at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(BufferedReader.java:362)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.input.DefaultInputHandler.handleInput(DefaultInputHandl
er.java:91)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Input.execute(Input.java:138)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:336)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1339)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:397)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.CallTarget.execute(CallTarget.java:143)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:336)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1339)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1255)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.start(Main.java:196)

unfortunately nothing similar sticks out.

Has anyone seen a similar problem?

I've worked around the problem by allowing all the required info to be
read from a config file which leads to the input tasks not being called.
Although this is a useful mechanism for all the platforms we need to
install on, it's a pain that we have to rely on this on Netware for now,
so any help will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Chris
p.s. Once you've helped out with this, I've got an interesting OS400 ant
issue to discuss...