ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: project dependency
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2003 17:11:08 GMT
Hey, I'm no Maven expert ;-) I'm just a lurker there. Remember, the only
time I tried it, I failed miserably to set it up.

But I do now that Maven is a moving target, and they move forward quite
rapidly. What you describe may well have been fixed already. They also now
have a MultiProject plugin on top of the reactor, so again things may be
better now.

Although I like building things myself, my custom developments to fit our
needs resemble very much what Maven and Gump provide, albeit very
primitively, and I'd rather use something with momentum and a community
behind rather than my crappy stuff.

And to answer John-Masson, we do worry about things being out of date when
we download them (each is CruiseControlled), which is why I have no my plate
to use a *consistent* set of dependencies instead of the latest of
everything. I won't even try to describe what a consistent set is ;-) And
I'll also build everything/all projects from source at time T, very much
like Gump (I'll leave the details out), but for nightly builds. The former
solution is for integration builds during the day.

To stay in sync, we have set up CruiseControl to monitor not only the CVS
repo of the project, but also were its dependencies are published, so when
something is published, a CC build of all the stuff depending on it will get
triggered. My colleague coined that 'the ripple effect', which converges
eventually to an in-sync state.

We do not have all the answers. People who have successfully deployed Maven
for their many projects (almost) all rave about it...

--DD