ant-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <>
Subject Re: Re obsolete xml-apis.jar in ant1.6 [was ant1.6beta2]
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:29:49 GMT
At 11:52 AM 10/17/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Jake,
>I am not an expert of xml ... so I do not know if there is any good reason
>why we should be distributing this particular version of xml-apis.jar.
>You are right that the xml-apis.jar which is being distributed with ant is
>not the same as the one which is packaged in Xerces Java 2.5.

Hi Antoine,

I'd say, let they guys who distribute Xerces be the XML experts and trust
that if they provide a particular xml-apis.jar with a particular release of
Xerces2 (in this case, the latest 2.5.0 release), they did it for a reason
and, unless we have evidence to the contrary, we should use the current
provided version rather than some arbitrary previous version.

BTW, I've done a diff on the two archives and it seems that there are some
changes in the following package (although I'm not sure specifically what
those changes are?)....

javax.xml.parsers *
javax.xml.transform * *
org.xml.sax.helpers *

* contains classes that didn't exist in the version of xml-apis that
shipped with Ant-1.6beta2

Looks like the JAXP version is newer and a bunch of other stuff is
newer.  I *strongly* recommend that the next beta (or final release) of
Ant-1.6 ship with the updated xml-apis.jar.  It should always match up with
that of the currently shipped Xerces release (whatever release Ant chooses
to ship, that is).

View raw message