ant-user mailing list archives

From "Duncan Strang" <dstr...@ukeu.com>
Subject RE: Modify files inside zip
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:37:19 GMT
Hi

I've always thought that this is a real shortcoming of the whole jar,
ear, war thing, the fact that you have to go through the entire build
process when you want to make even a small change...
As for turning over maintenance and continued development to a
client....forget it if they don't understand the build process.
That's what ant is for of course. To ease this process,but depending on
which application server you are using it should be possible to modify
certain values from the app server console.

My main exp' is with Weblogic....you can modify all sorts of things in
the deployment descriptors from the console.

If you can't make the modifications 'on the fly' then ant is perfect for
'patching' tasks.
It takes a bit of setting up but the extract, modify and rebuild cycle
is the only way to go as far as I can see.

Once you have it set up it's simply a case of making the change and
running the patching target.

Cheers
Duncan

My current project uses ant