ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Price <profk...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: two diff't JDKs
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:16:52 GMT

--- Antoine_Levy-Lambert <antoine@antbuild.com> wrote:
> I have had had a first glance at the code.
> I feel also that this issue is a bug, and this bug is almost
> certainly
> affecting ant 1.6 which is not good.
> Why it is not good is that ant 1.6 can only run under JDK >= 1.2 and
> that it
> looks like you need to run ant 1.5.4 under JDK 1.1 to be able to
> compile JDK
> 1.1 source code.
> Here is the routine which produces the log message which you noticed.
> The
> javadoc worries me.
>     /**
>      * The implementation for this particular task.
>      *
>      * <p>Defaults to the build.compiler property but can be
> overridden
>      * via the compiler and fork attributes.</p>
>      *
>      * <p>If fork has been set to true, the result will be extJavac
>      * and not classic or java1.2 - no matter what the compiler
>      * attribute looks like.</p>
>      *
>      * @see #getCompilerVersion
>      *
>      * @since Ant 1.5
>      */
>     public String getCompiler() {
>         String compilerImpl = getCompilerVersion();
>         if (fork) {
>             if (isJdkCompiler(compilerImpl)) {
>                 if (facade.hasBeenSet()) {
>                     log("Since fork is true, ignoring compiler
> setting.",
>                         Project.MSG_WARN);
>                 }
>                 compilerImpl = "extJavac";
>             } else {
>                 log("Since compiler setting isn't classic or modern,"
>                     + "ignoring fork setting.", Project.MSG_WARN);
>             }
>         }
>         return compilerImpl;
>     }

Hi Antoine,

So, then what happens if fork="no" but compiler="classic" ?  It would
seem to me that this simply calls the compiler of the current runtime
(1.3 SDK, in my case) and uses the 1.1-style switches, because in order
to call an external compiler, fork must be set to "yes".

But I'm not sure if that's how it's working.

Erik

=====
--
Copyright.  Copy right.