ant-user mailing list archives

From Bianca Xue Jiang <bji...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Can I make multiple Ant run with the same VM under command li ne?
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:00:53 GMT
That's not what I am asking.  Ultimately we are going to use Ant.  But
currently we are mostly using Perl and use Ant just to do some new work.
With this provided, I would like to optimize the fact that each time Ant
is called, it fires up a new VM and make it really slow.  I might going a
dead-end after all.

Bianca

"Shatzer, Larry" <Larry.Shatzer@Spirent.com>
09/24/2003 05:33 PM
Please respond to
"Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>

"'Ant Users List'" <user@ant.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Can I make multiple Ant run with the same VM under command li ne?

Are you asking why you should convert your Perl code to Ant code to run
your
builds?

If you convert all your Perl logic into Ant, you only have to worry about
maintaining the Ant part of it. You also don't have to worry about the
machine you are trying to build on has Perl or not.

Your Perl code might not be platform independent. With any language that
is
"platforms independent", anyone can write unportable code. Looking for
'C:\folder' is one easy way to break any program on UNIX. This is not just
specific to Perl, Ant build files could very well be "unportable" in this
fashion as well.

I find it much better if you stick to as few as possible "scripting"
languages and build languages for your project. As things get more
complex,
the time spent tracking down reasons the build won't work increases.

For java projects, I find Ant to be the best tool for the job.

-- Larry