ant-user mailing list archives

From "Faist, Jeff" <Jeff.Fa...@encodasystems.com>
Subject RE: Incremental builds with VSS
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:06:34 GMT
I don't know why a full build is happening for you because if you do a get
of a previously populated tree it will only get the changed files and will
set the date/time stamp to whatever the vssget function is coded to do.(
modified, checked in, current )  If you remove the get feature from the
build script, do a build, touch a file then do another build will it build
incrementally or will it do a full build?

Either way here is some info on the ss get command line that you may find
useful.

The "ss.exe get" command which will do a get all if the tree does not exist
and if it does exist only replace what is newer and get what does not exist
aka update or sync up local area to repository contents.

Also do not rely on your default setting as to how the date/time stamp of
the files as they are retrieved from the repository cause you may end up
changing that in the GUI and affect your automatic builds.  Instead you
should always be specific as to how to set the date time using the -G flag.

Here are the commands I use the most.

Get, recursively, ignore prompts, set date/time to Current, make it writable

ss get -R -I- -GTC -W

Get, recursively, ignore prompts, set date/time to last Modified, make it
writable
ss get -R -I- -GTM -W

Doing a full or new build I use the modified time for the initial get and
for incremental builds I use the Current time. That way only files that have
changed since the last get will have newer date/time stamps than the built
files which results in an incremental build of only those bin files that
depend on those changed source files.

Also in vss help there is no link or listing in the help search that will
navigate you to the "-I Command-Line Option" help page which explains how to
use the -I-y or -I-n subsets of that flag.  the only way to get to the "-I
Command-Line Option" help page that I found is to search for either "-i-y"
or "-i-n" but if you did not know those optioned existed how would you know
to type that in.

Good luck
JEff Faist