ant-user mailing list archives

From "Shatzer, Larry" <Larry.Shat...@Spirent.com>
Subject RE: Can I make multiple Ant run with the same VM under command li ne?
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:33:40 GMT
Are you asking why you should convert your Perl code to Ant code to run your
builds?

If you convert all your Perl logic into Ant, you only have to worry about
maintaining the Ant part of it. You also don't have to worry about the
machine you are trying to build on has Perl or not.

Your Perl code might not be platform independent. With any language that is
"platforms independent", anyone can write unportable code. Looking for
'C:\folder' is one easy way to break any program on UNIX. This is not just
specific to Perl, Ant build files could very well be "unportable" in this
fashion as well.

I find it much better if you stick to as few as possible "scripting"
languages and build languages for your project. As things get more complex,
the time spent tracking down reasons the build won't work increases.

For java projects, I find Ant to be the best tool for the job.

-- Larry