ant-user mailing list archives

From Jan.Mate...@rzf.fin-nrw.de
Subject RE: How to compile a java file?
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 12:54:58 GMT
> A suggestion to the doc writers -- it turns out the documentation for
> the javac task is pretty good, but the problem is that I never found
> it.  Scanning the table of contents, I interpreted "Ant Tasks" as an
> advanced chapter on defining your own tasks, so I didn't delve into
> that part of the manual.  I spent most of my time in "Using Ant /
> Writing a Simple Buildfile", and was perplexed when the example given
> didn't show how to compile java files.
>
> Changing the name of the "Ant Tasks" chapter to something like
> "Predefined Ant Tasks" might have caused me to look there.

When I have the TOC of the manual I see
- Introduction
- Installing Ant
- Using Ant
- Running Ant
- Ant Tasks
- Concepts and Types
- Loggers & Listeners
- Editor/IDE Integration
- Developing with Ant
- Ant API
- License
- Feedback and Troubleshooting
- Authors

"Using Ant" is a good start, I think. For beginners the "Writing a Simple
Buildfile"
is the right point. It describes the buildfile syntax, provides links to the
task list
and gives an example.
And if you have a look at that example you see how to compile sources.

But I think the "Developing with Ant" is misleading - a "Developing for Ant"
would be
better. And a blank line between "Editor/IDE Integration" and "Developing xx
Ant" would
show that there are differences.
Thoughts?

Jan