ant-user mailing list archives

From Rosendahl Sten - stro <s...@im.se>
Subject RE: ANT - Deployment Tool?
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:43:23 GMT
Maybe some people are thinking of full-blown installation tools like
InstallAnyWhere and InstallShield, both of which nowodays use XML project
files and can use Java for custom tasks. Using Ant instead for this would be
great.

Sten Rosendahl

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Fuller [mailto:jim.fuller@slgchorus.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 3:51 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: RE: ANT - Deployment Tool?

well,

ant has all sorts of integration for deployment

- simple file transfer protocol support: ftp, ssh ( in latest and 3rd party
tasks ), etc...means that when you are done building you can move it to its
final resting place
- java deployment: all sorts of assistance here, as you would expect
- RANT: a variant of ant called Remote ANT which lets you perform builds on
remote machines
- integration with all major SCM means that if for example CVS is part of
your deployment workflow then you have no worries

hmmm, as for most valuable java deployment technology, not quite sure
deployment has been well defined in an engineering sense to be such a
distinct activity.

ta, jim fuller