ant-user mailing list archives

From "Duncan Strang" <dstr...@ukeu.com>
Subject Environment variables with $$
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:31:00 GMT
Hi

I have an ant build script that contains the following target

   <target name="init">
      <filter filtersfile="${filtersfile}" />
      <tstamp>
         <format property="build.sdate" pattern="yyMMdd" />
      </tstamp>
      <copy todir="${tmpdir}" filtering="true" >
          <fileset dir="${build}/packages" />
      </copy>
      <property name="providers"
                value="${portaldir}/$$DESKTOP/classes/portal/providers/"
/>
      <echo>Just set a property called providers this has the value
${providers}
   </target>

I'm trying to understand the semantics of the $$DESKTOP bit.
I have similar statements all through my 5000 line build.xml
I have been told that DESKTOP is a 'simple environment variable' however
I have set a variable in my .profile file (Solaris 8) with the value
foobar. I can access this from the shell with echo $DESKTOP, I get
foobar back
When I run the init target I was expecting to get
/myportal/dist/foobar/classes/portal/providers/
Instead I got
/myportal/dist/$DESKTOP/classes/portal/providers/

I have the book 'Java development with ant' by Hatcher and Loughran,
they talk about using the env prefix to access environment variables. I
have searched build.xml and I can find no reference to anything that
looks like it is setting or retrieving an ev.

I have also had a look round the archives, once again all I see is the
env prefix stuff.

Can anyone explain the semantics of $$DESKTOP.

Many Thanks
Duncan

Duncan Strang
JAVA Consultant
UK eUniversities Worldwide Limited

Direct:    +44 (0)207 932 4495
Fax:         +44 (0)207 932 4445
Mobile:   +44 (0)
E-mail:  dstrang@ukeu.com
www.ukeu.com

Switchboard: +44 (0)207 932 4444

This e-mail is from UK eUniversities Worldwide Limited, 14 Buckingham
Gate, London. SW1E 6LB, United Kingdom, No: 4218275.

This e-mail (and any attachment) is confidential to the addressee and
may be privileged.  If you are not the named addressee please notify the
sender immediately by calling our switchboard on  +44 (0) 207 932 4444 -
do not disclose to another person or use, copy or forward all or any of
it in any form.

All information or opinions expressed in this message and/or any
attachments are those of the author and are not necessarily those of UK
eUniversities Worldwide Limited or any of its affiliates. UK
eUniversities Worldwide Limited or any of its affiliates accept no
responsibility for loss or damage arising from its use, including damage
from virus.