ant-user mailing list archives

From Sunil Singh <sunil.si...@oracle.com>
Subject Behaviour of fail task.
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:30:46 GMT
Hi,

I am seeing some unexpected behaviour with ant's fail task.

I have created various sub-project build.xmls for various
components of our overall product and then there is a master
ant build.xml which calls these sub-project builds.

The sub-project build.xmls have a target to check if a build
is successful or not as shown below :

<! - dcb_component_build.xml ->

<target name="check_dcb_build" depends="build_all" description="make the build fail, for
any non-zero return code">
  <condition property="dcb_build_passed">
   <and>
        <equals arg1='${dcb_opt_retcode}' arg2='0'/>
        <equals arg1='${dcb_debug_retcode}' arg2='0'/>
        <equals arg1='${dcb_opt_errcheck}' arg2='0'/>
        <equals arg1='${dcb_debug_errcheck}' arg2='0'/>
   </and>
  </condition>
  <fail unless="dcb_build_passed" message="dcb build failed."/>
</target>

Now this target generates a false build failure everytime the sub-project build is
called from the top level master ant build.xml with the following error log :

 <stacktrace><![CDATA[file:T:/dc/src/dcb/build.xml:42: dcb build failed.
 at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Exit.execute(Exit.java:104)
 at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:336)
 at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1306)
 at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:371)
 at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:336)
 at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1306)
 at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1250)
 at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.start(Main.java:196)
</stacktrace>

The master build.xml from a different folder calls the dcb component with simple ant call
as followed :

<target name="dcb" description="Build the dcb stack here.">
  <echo> ***************************************</echo>
  <echo> Building dcb for Version="${version}" </echo>
  <echo> ***************************************</echo>
  <ant dir="${dcb.dir}" target="${build.target}" output="${dcbbuild.output}"/>
  <echo> ***************************************</echo>
  <echo> Finished dcb build.</echo>
</target>

 The false failure happens only when the dcb build target is invoked from the master build.xml,
everything works fine and as expected when the same relevant target is called directly from
the dcb_component_build.xml . I did try everything like inheritAll and so on from the ant
manual
- but no help. Has anyone see something similar or aware of any limitation that the fail task
might have.

Thank you.
Sunil--