ant-user mailing list archives

From John Holman <j.g.hol...@qmul.ac.uk>
Subject replacing files in war/jar/zip file
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:54:39 GMT
I'm trying to use ant to replace unconditionally some files in a war
file. The aim is for a system administrator to update the war file
provided by a developer with their own local versions of custom
configuration files, WEB-INF/web.xml and META-INF/context.xml. The files
provided by the system administrator should override any files with the
same name in the war file that might have been included by the developer.

The jar task with update="true" does what I want provided the files are
more recent than those already in the war file. However I want the local
files to override files in the archive regardless of their date, and
can't find a straighforward way to do this. (I can copy all files from
the original archive and then add the local files, but then I get two
versions of the file with the same filename in the resulting archive).

Perhaps there should be a new attribute for the zip task, e.g.
update="always" or replace="true", that means add all files mentioned in
child fileset elements etc into the new archive, and then add files from
the original archive that have not already been seen.

In the absence of this, any ideas? Am I missing something?

Many thanks, John.