ant-user mailing list archives

From "Antoine Levy-Lambert" <anto...@antbuild.com>
Subject Re: java task doesn't generate the *.class when compilation fails
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 18:41:26 GMT
I would thinks that the behavior you are describing is from javac, not from
ant.
To change this, you should somehow (for instance using <apply/>) compile
your sources one by one.

My advice would be :
- if some source files never compile and nobody in your team wants to fix
them, then they are useless and should be removed,

- if some source files are checked in and produce compilation errors,
someone (build manager) should liaise with the developers and make them fix
the faulty source files,

- depending on the size of your project (s), you could install CruiseControl
or AntHill to get near time or real time compilations. These 2 pieces of
software are built on top of ant. There are other solutions too, but I do
not know all of them. The advantage of such systems is that, if you have a
small size project and you have unattended builds starting automatically say
every 15 minutes when code has changed, chances are that you will able to
make developers fix their code [ for build purposes at least ] very quickly,
rather than discovering 20 errors in a nightly build.

Cheers,
Antoine