ant-user mailing list archives

From "Donald Strong" <dstr...@agentissoftware.com>
Subject RE: just not getting it
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:46:27 GMT
Brilliant synopsis Laird,

Having written build systems in both Make and Ant I throughly agree with you.

Two things I would add, for Gregory's benefit.

The first is one reason that Make just doesn't work as well with java
as it does with other languages is that the dependencies in java are not
obvious or readily available. Trying to get dependency checking for java
working in a Make build system is difficult, if not impossible. I think that
is a major reason for the popularity of Ant.

Secondly, many of the Ant tasks have dependency checking built in. The
copy task is one example; as, by default, copies are only done when required.

The last comment I would make to Gregory is that Ant is worth persisting with.

Regards
Donald.