ant-user mailing list archives

From Rakeesh_Shri...@capgroup.com
Subject Re: ant and clearcase
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:51:10 GMT

Thanks for the input

I am thinking of going ahead like this.

1.  Having dynamic view.

2. starting the view using startview in my ant script.

<target name="startview" >
          <echo message="Startview ..."/>
          <exec executable="cleartool">
               <arg value="startview"/>
               <arg value="app"/>
          </exec>

</target>

3. Building my application using the view.

So is this the correct way?.
In this case the only thing i am bothered about is that if I have to get a
different label then i will have to change the config spec for the view
manually. Is it a recommended way. Or can i also change the config specs
using my ant script.

Thanks

Rakesh Shringi

                    "Alexey N.

                    Solofnenko"          To:     Ant Users List <user@ant.apache.org>

                    <alexeys@mdli.       cc:     (bcc: Rakesh Shringi/AFS/CAPITAL)

                    com>                 Subject:     Re: ant and clearcase

                    08/11/2003

                    11:39 AM

                    Please respond

                    to "Ant Users

                    List"

We found that dynamic view is several times slower than snapshot view (3
minutes build comparing to 45 minutes on a fast computer). Do you know
any tricks to make dynamic views faster?

- Alexey.

--
{ http://trelony.cjb.net/ } Alexey N. Solofnenko
Pleasant Hill, CA (GMT-8 usually)

David McTavish wrote:

>We use CC extensively and all developers use dynamic views unless extreme
>circumstances prevent this (ie: they work on a laptop and frequently work
>from home).  One thing to note is that this configuration enforces clean
>"check-ins", as all users see check-ins immediately (usually within 1
>minute).  We've found this to be a good thing as it ensures that code
>compiles before merged to the repository, and also encourages more
frequent
>AND clean check-ins.
>I'd highly recommend using dynamic, only for the reasoning that it is MUCH
>easier to manage merges. (merging XML with CC can still be a pain).
>As far as sending scripts... not really much I can send that is special to
>using CC within Ant that isn't so proprietary it wouldn't do you much
good.
>I do use some of the CCase tasks in the optional targets package, which
are
>useful, but I do alot of exec calls to invoke the cleartool.exe directly
>get all the functionality I need.  I think for tackling something like
this,
>you'll have to first size-up what you need, before anyone could give you a
>cookie-cutter solution.  I think in the long-run, which implementation of
>revision control system you choose will be secondary to the management of
>the build environment itself. (Although CC does make things a lot easier
>over other solutions). So, once you start determining what exactly you
WANT