ant-user mailing list archives

From "Curtis Yanko" <curt_ya...@uhc.com>
Subject classpath
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:02:33 GMT

Hi everyone. This is my first post so a little intro is in order.

My name is Curtis Yanko and I am the 'Build & Deploy' guy for Uniprise. As such
we use Ant to build our J2EE apps. I've been doing this for only a couple of
months now. Befaore this I did C++ build and installs for another company here
in the Hartford area. In general I find Ant easy and fun to work with but I've
been having one nagging problem.

Every time a developer adds a new project dependacy I need to manually update my
classpath for that project. This doesn't seem like any way to run a railroad!
especially since I've implemented Anthill to allow self-service builds which
works great until someone breaks te build script with one of these new classpath
dependencies.

I have the Manning book, which has saved my life thus far, and I have searched
around Google with no luck. So now I turn to the Ant community to find out how
other people are managing this problem.

We seem to build our classpath using the
<path id="xyz">
  <pathelement location=${property.to.our.jarfile} />
</path>

We don't seem to be using <classpath> but that seems like the same thing to me,
just another path-like structure.

Any thoughts on how I can avoid this problem in the future?

-Curtis Yanko