ant-user mailing list archives

From David McTavish <dmctav...@sandvine.com>
Subject RE: Using Ant with a Modular System Design
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:47:23 GMT
but does your tool allow all of the build files to have targets with the
same name?
ie: all build files in this example should have a "compile" target that
compiles the code. If you merge the files, aren't you going to have
collisions?

d.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phillip Lord [mailto:p.lord@russet.org.uk]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 11:35 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Using Ant with a Modular System Design

  Kevin> Having developed a modular structure I have placed a build
  Kevin> file in each module.  The system as a build file structure
  Kevin> that if called from the highest level then all prereq builds
  Kevin> are completed.

  Kevin> For example, one module will create a database in a known
  Kevin> state.  Another module uses this database for unit testing.

  Kevin> When run from the upper most build file everything is fine
  Kevin> but I would like a way to run a lower level build file
  Kevin> (calling the unit test) without having to remember to run a
  Kevin> upper level build file to create the database.

  Kevin> I know about using the depends attribute but isn't this only
  Kevin> within the build file not across build files.

It's for this sort of reason that I wrote antmerge, which enables one
build file to inherit from another. In this case your lower level
build files would all inherit from an upper level one.

The "import" task coming, possibly, in 1.6 does a similar thing.

Anyway if you are interested

http://www.russet.org.uk/antmerge

Phil