ant-user mailing list archives

From David McTavish <dmctav...@sandvine.com>
Subject RE: ant and clearcase
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:35:29 GMT
We use CC extensively and all developers use dynamic views unless extreme
circumstances prevent this (ie: they work on a laptop and frequently work
from home).  One thing to note is that this configuration enforces clean
"check-ins", as all users see check-ins immediately (usually within 1
minute).  We've found this to be a good thing as it ensures that code
compiles before merged to the repository, and also encourages more frequent
AND clean check-ins.
I'd highly recommend using dynamic, only for the reasoning that it is MUCH
easier to manage merges. (merging XML with CC can still be a pain).
As far as sending scripts... not really much I can send that is special to
using CC within Ant that isn't so proprietary it wouldn't do you much good.
I do use some of the CCase tasks in the optional targets package, which are
useful, but I do alot of exec calls to invoke the cleartool.exe directly to
get all the functionality I need.  I think for tackling something like this,
you'll have to first size-up what you need, before anyone could give you a
cookie-cutter solution.  I think in the long-run, which implementation of a
revision control system you choose will be secondary to the management of
the build environment itself. (Although CC does make things a lot easier
over other solutions). So, once you start determining what exactly you WANT
to do with Ant, then will you understand what you need to ask to get it
done. Unfortunately, there isn't much else I can provide at this time.

HTH,

d.