ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: intellij idea
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:22:01 GMT
On Monday, August 18, 2003, at 05:29  PM, Roman Rytov wrote:
> I have about 30 modules and some of them have branches so when I need
> build a certain version I don't know a priori where sources would be.

I don't quite follow all of that, but with a complete tagged repository
we could replicate our source code and build environment (including
version of Ant itself as well) from any tag.

> By explicit addressing a custom task I add coupling btween a ptoject
> and
> the environment it will be built on. I prefer to avoid it.

I'm still unclear on how you avoid "addressing" a custom task.  Do you
not use <taskdef>?

>> Although I
>> recommend against this practice.
>>

> Could you motivate your advice?

Sure.  ANT_HOME/lib should be reserved for only the things mandatory
for Ant itself, like junit.jar and of course all of Ant's libraries and
their dependencies (like netcomponents.jar, for example).  For custom
tasks, I leave them in a revision controlled library directory - see
http://www.ehatchersolutions.com/JavaDevWithAnt - and refer to them
with explicit classpath references.

	Erik