ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rich Wagner" <richmwag...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: just not getting it
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 04:23:33 GMT
One suggested addition to Conor MacNeill's example buildfile:

It's worth considering adding to the "compile" target so that it includes a
OK
but imperfect job of dependency checking and recompiling; preceding it with
the appropriate <depend> makes the dependency checking almost perfect
(though nothing can detect things like dependencies introduced because of
run-time reflection...)

For example, say class A imports and uses class B.  Then say everything is
compiled and brought up to date.  Next, say B is changed.  Without a
preceding <depend> invocation, <javac> will see that B.java is newer than
B.class, so it'll recompile B.  However, <javac> will not determine that A
should also be recompiled, even though A might call a method in B whose
signature has changed.  When <depend> is used though, it will remove A.class
when it sees that B has been modified, since <depend> (unlike <javac>)
"knows" that A uses B.

Anyway, here's the documentation for <depend> :

        http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/depend.html

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to add the exact <depend> element to
the sample buildfile, but roughly speaking, the structure of the <depend>
task mirrors that of the <javac> that follows it (especially in terms of the
source and destination directories/files).  In addition though, I like to
add "closure=true" and "cache=${cacheDir}" attributes to the <depend> task.

Anyway, I also encourage people to take the time to learn about Ant
features.  I recently switched from using "make" to Ant, and I think Ant is
far better...

Hope this helps,
Rich Wagner