ant-user mailing list archives

From "Lopez, William" <william.lo...@eds.com>
Subject RE: ant and clearcase
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:24:44 GMT
We have a nationally and globally (Brazil/New Zealand) dispersed team...we
have concerns also about the dynamic view and the synch times also, another
solution is to have the Mutlisite version of clearcase...contact your CC
rep.

-Will

-----Original Message-----
From: David McTavish [mailto:dmctavish@sandvine.com]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 1:49 PM
To: 'Ant Users List'
Subject: RE: ant and clearcase

Our builds are around 1-2 minutes over the dynamic view. I imagine that the
biggest impact of using the dynamic view is that all of your files are
stored on a network share.  In order to improve this, there is really only
two approaches:
 a) improve server performance
 b) improve compile efficiency

Cheaper solution is obviously b), but also harder to implement.  There was a
good thread a couple of weeks ago about compiling only recently-changed
source files, etc.  I've spent a lot of time in our build trying to add
logic for minimizing the impact of importing dependencies from peer
products, etc. as well as try to only compile .java source files that have
modified since the last build.  These steps have helped reduce delta build
times to around 30 seconds (although this does not include our .jsp
pre-compile issues, as I haven't yet found a clean solution to determine if
a .jsp file was modified since the last time it was pre-compiled to a .java
file and then compiled into a .class file...)

d.