ant-user mailing list archives

From "Nathan Christiansen" <Nathan_Christian...@tni.com>
Subject RE: classpath
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:11:43 GMT
To help get around the "library version" problem, we will rename the library jar files with
a version number if they don't come with one. (e.g. junit.jar becomes junit_3-8-1.jar.) We
can then tell at a glance which version of the library it is.

To help get around the "conflict" problem (we had a project where the library directory had
servlet.jar and j2ee.jar, both containing the javax.servlet.* hierarchy) we now point to the
directory of our servlet container (Tomcat) to get the jar files provided by the container.
We still have to worry about particular libraries containing the same classes, but since we
have a small number of Java developers and we don't use different libraries that do similar
things it usually isn't a big problem.

You might consider having a library czar. A single person who approves all library dependencies.
I would suggest that this person is also the build and deploy person.

-- Nathan Christiansen
   Tahitian Noni International
   http://www.tahitiannoni.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Hatton [mailto:khatton@axiomsystems.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 9:50 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: RE: classpath

Really it's a tradeoff between control and ease of use.

We use pretty much the same technique as Nathan, and it works for the time being.

But, over time, I can see the potential for our "lib" directory to fill up, and you lose control
of which versions of what libraries are included, and if there is any conflict (same classes
in 2 jars) you have to guess which one will be used ... so you may decide the approach of
specifying each jar is better, and live with the maintenance requirement that comes with it.

Oh dear, it sounds like another case of "no silver bullet" ...

Keith