ant-user mailing list archives

From Ken....@bmwna.com
Subject stripping out whitespace from JSPs at build time
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:13:27 GMT
Hi -

I'm looking for an Ant task (or something) that I can use to strip out the
whitespace in JSPs at build time in order to reduce the size of the HTML
sent to the client.

My JSPs are nicely formatted for readability, but this results in a
significant amount of unecessary overhead in the HTML.  Normally this
wouldn't be too much of a problem, but I have certain pages that are pretty
big, and I can end up with over 200k of spaces and tabs in the HTML which
don't get rendered in the browser anyways.  I'd like to be able to
preprocess my JSPs before packaging the WAR in order to avoid manually
unformatting the code (and thus eliminate maintainability of the JSPs).

Thanks

Ken