ant-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: classpath
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 17:12:32 GMT

It seems to me the build file should have some idea of which libraries are
required for building the application in question.  I use a system that I
adapted from the Tomcat5 build.  I set up a path to hold libraries for use
in a classpath like this...

     <path id="build.classpath" >
         <pathelement location="${skaringa.jar}"/>
         <pathelement location="${log4j.jar}"/>
         <pathelement location="${commons-jxpath.jar}"/>
         <pathelement location="${ant-contrib.jar}"/>
     </path>

I specify versions of these libraries in a build.properties file.  And
since I don't actually store any of these libraries locally or distribute
them with the build, I have a dynamic downloading process that first checks
if they are available locally and then downloads them if they don't yet
exist.  Once it is downloaded and stored on disk, it doesn't need to be
downloaded again unless the libraries are deleted or a new version is
specified.  This is actually very similar to how Maven works where it loads
libraries that don't exist locally from biblio.org (actually anyone can use
this resource if they want).  When I update a version number, the old
version is no longer added to the classpath and the new version is
downloaded and used.

A sampling of a build that uses this technique can be seen in the current
Prevayler build...

build.xml
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/prevayler/prevayler/build.xml?rev=1.18&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

sample.build.properties
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/prevayler/prevayler/sample.build.properties?rev=1.12&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

utility-targets.incl (an include file that contains reusable Ant targets
that some targets in build.xml use)
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/prevayler/prevayler/utility-targets.incl?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Jake