ant-user mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: antmerge:- inheriting ant files.
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 17:21:23 GMT

Phillip Lord wrote, On 06/08/2003 15.31:

>   Nicola> Phillip Lord wrote, On 06/08/2003 14.38: ...
>   >> I notice that ant may be getting an "import" task (its in the
>   >> CVS). I think that they will have some of the same problems as
>   >> me. Parts of ant are procedural (properties, paths), and parts
>   >> are not (targets). Import is fine. But where do you import?
>
>   Nicola> Join the ant-dev list, there is a discussion going on.
>
> It's a little too high volume for me, I'm afraid. I wouldn't follow
> what was going on in general.

Well then, what about using gmane.org?
I set the newsgroup gmane.comp.jakarta.ant.devel up on my newsreader
(mozilla mail) and it's very easy to follow only the discussions I'm
interested in.

>   Nicola> Threads about import (in order):
>   Nicola>     1 - ImportTask ant 1.6 2 - ant 1.5.4 : Import 3 -
>   Nicola>     override
>
>   Nicola> The current one is (3).
>

> There are some interesting points raised here. I think that I am
> correct in thinking that having the import task working well will
> require solving many of the same problems of the antmerge
> functionality. It will be nice to see it in place, as it will solve at
> least one of the problems of antmerge. For me this functionality is
> pretty essential. I wouldn't have written a tool to provide it, if I
> had any choice in the matter!

;-)

Well, our current problem is deciding how to solve something similar to
multiple inheritance, where we import two snippets that have same target
names, and that can interact between each other without me knowing it
explicitly... we'll see.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -