ant-user mailing list archives

From "Anderson, Robert H - MWT" <Anderson.Rob...@menlolog.com>
Subject RE: just not getting it
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:22:47 GMT
Greg, In make and ant, targets are analogous. The difference is that with
make, targets are made up of a series of commands that would run in a shell
or at a command prompt. With ant, targets are made up of tasks. Tasks are
essentially the java equivalent of the commands that make up your targets in
make. Each task you are using appears as a block of xml in your build file,
where you set the parameters for each task you are calling. In your case you
would probably have several targets with one task each:

Target	Tasks
------------------
init		<mkdir>, make the build and dist directories
compile	<javac>, compile the source to the build directory
dist		<jar>, create the jar from the compiled code
clean		<delete>, delete the build and dist directories
build		depends="init,compile,dist"
clean-build depends="clean,build"

Of course you could put all these tasks into a single target, but you would
lose some flexibility...

Target	Tasks

I hope this helps.

-Rob Anderson