ant-user mailing list archives

From Gregory Seidman <gss+...@cs.brown.edu>
Subject just not getting it
Date Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:44:55 GMT
I'm trying to understand the basic concept of Ant, and I'm just not getting
it. Until I understand how to get Ant to compile a bunch of Java source
files and pack them all into a jar file with the correct main class in its
META-INF, it won't help me to understand how to add external tasks. I don't
even understand the meaning of task.

I'm sure that part of the problem is that I am looking at this through
make-colored glasses. I've been using make for a decade or more, and
created a pretty serious build system with it (for a graduate project and,
later, a project at work). I've been working with Java since 1995. I'm not
a newbie to software development, and I've read throug the ant FAQ and
manual, yet some crucial concept is eluding me.

Would someone please explain how to handle the simple example of a
directory/package tree full of .java source files to be built into a JAR?
Once I have that toehold, I think I can start learning the rest.

--Greg