ant-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Using exec to run 'chmod a+x *'
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 15:47:54 GMT
As an academic discussion, the reason the exec didn't
work with wildcards is that expansion is performed by
a shell.  Therefore if you wanted to do this on Unix,
you would have wanted to invoke the "sh" or some other
shell executable, passing it arguments including the
command to run (chmod) and the wildcard files... the
simpler way to do this is Ant would be to use <apply>
with a fileset and chmod as the executable, thus
letting Ant take care of the wildcard expansion.

Incidentally, the <chmod> task is documented with a
permissions attribute (not the exact name) that takes
values such as "a+x" or "g+w"... does anyone know if
the octal permissions also work with this task?  I
would think they should...

-Matt