ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: R: tasks hell
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:11:38 GMT
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Damiano Altomare <damiano.altomare@libero.it>
wrote:

> 1. dividing the tasks in (formal) tasks families (i.e. file system
> tasks, packaging tasks ...).

<http://ant.apache.org/manual/tasksoverview.html>

This is what yopu get when you follow the "Overview of Ant Tasks" link
in the "Ant Tasks" section of the manual.

> 2. The project tag says(with an attribute or a subtag): "this
> project uses only these tags families (so newcomers reading the
> buildfile will know are used only the declared classes of tags, and
> they'll document on the class families they don't know).

It's up to the build file writer.  Almost all elements can have a
description attribute and/or a <description> element.

> 3. The name of each task is divided (and written in the buildfile)
> in a tag family and the real name of the task (e.g. taskfamily +
> taskname; giving an idea to the reader of the task job;

Is <filesystem:copy> really more intuitive than <copy>?

To me it seems to boil down to "use intuitive names for your tasks".

> and helping in searching in to the documention (newcomers extracting
> the family name from the task name can search faster in
> documentation,

Hmm, tasks are listed alphabetically in the manual, this allows for a
rather short search time IMHO 8-)

Stefan