ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: zip/jar/ear/war update="true"
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:49:47 GMT
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, EJ Ciramella <ECiramella@emptoris.com> wrote:

> I'm not seeing a change in speed when I set update="true" for those
> above mentioned containers.  Am I missing the point?

Possible.

update="false" - the default - means:  recreate the archive from all
files/directories/zipentries if any one of them is out-of-date.

update="true" means: recreate the archive from all
files/directories/zipentries that are out-of-date and the original
archive for the rest.

In both cases the archive will be recreated completely so you
shouldn't expect any major speed difference.

update="true" is generally only useful if you are creating your
archive incrementally, i.e. you have multiple tasks that create/update
the archive that apply to different sets of entries.  If there is only
one archiving tasks, update="true" will not gain anything.

Stefan