ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject [OT] Mail User Agents and threading
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 07:21:46 GMT
changing the subject ...

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Jan Materne <Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de> wrote:

> Yep - MS Outlook.  I thought the 'AW:' / 'RE:' thing is a locale
> part.

Only for Outlook 8-)

For all other people "Re:" is the prefix to be used by convention.
Outlook itself isn't smart enough to detect its own prefixes, off
course, leading to "SV: AW: Re: AW: Sv:" prefixes when German, Swedish
and English people get involved in a thread.

> But the reference header was new to me.

It is far away from being standard in mails.

It originates from NNTP (probably Son-of-RFC 1036, but I'm not sure).
Gnus has been one of the first MUAs to use it in mails (as it is a
Usenet news reader in the first place) and many others have followed,
but it is in no way something to expect from each and every MUA.

Stefan