ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: R: tasks hell
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 06:47:22 GMT
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barclay@fgm.com> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> Hmm, tasks are listed alphabetically in the manual, this allows for
>> a rather short search time IMHO 8-)
>
> Yeah, so?  The original poster wrote about learning tasks, not
> looking one up.

It is hard to write a manual for absolute newbies, when you are in the
other side of the camp.  When I started to learn Ant, there've been a
lot less tasks than today (think pre Ant 1.1) so it's been easier, I
agree.

But this is how I learned about the tasks: I thought about what I
wanted to do (copy a file, untar an archive, run JUnit tests) and
browsed through the manual's TOC to find tasks with names that looked
likely.  I feel that in many cases the task names are quite intuitive.
When I feel they are not, this is most often due to the fact that I've
never worked in the task's problem domain and thus don't know the
vocabulary - say <ccmreconfigure>, but I'm sure I'd know what it meant
if I used Continuus Source Manager.

Don't take my mail as "the manual is good as it is, no way it could be
improved".  And please note that I pointed to a task overview page in
the part that you snipped 8-)

It's just that I'd like to know how it could be improved rather than
that it could be improved.

Stefan