ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Trying to get rid of makefiles
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 06:39:10 GMT
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Rutger Hofman <rutger@cs.vu.nl> wrote:

> Hmmm, I thought that if one feeds all .java files to the javac
> task, then javac figures out the dependencies automatically.
> So, if class A extends class B and B.java is changed, javac
> will also compile class A (actually, because B.class is changed).

No, that is wrong.  <javac> will leave A.java alone in this situation.

<depend> would delete A.class in that situation so a subsequent
<javac> would recompile it as well.

If you want a more sophisticated dependency tracking, take a look at
the <javamake> task linked from Ant's "External Tools and Tasks" page.
It's kind of like <depend> and <javac> bundled into one with even
better dependency detection than <depend> (it detects API changes
independent of file timestamps and even deals with final primitives
that get inlined by the compiler AFAIK).

Stefan