ant-user mailing list archives

From "Leonardo Abreu de Barros" <leobar...@email.com>
Subject Trying to get rid of makefiles
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:01:31 GMT
Hi all,

I work in a company that has a long history using makefiles. Since I
joined it, I proposed to migrate to Ant. Some people resist to
changes, some people agree, as long as all benefits provided by the
makefiles are covered by Ant.

I've already reproduced all behaviors but one: currently, all java
classes names are declared explicitly in the makefile, and sent to
the java compiler. It rebuilds all the class files, at each build.

They want this behavior in order to detect broken code, due to
changes on a base class, for example.

The problem is that Ant, specifically the <javac> task, only
recompiles ".class" if the timestamp differs from the related ".java"
file. I've read on documentation that to detect this kind of broken
dependencies, you should perform "clean builds" from time to time.

I proposed this solution, but it wasn't accepted. They think it's a
loss of time (even if it's ridiculous) to delete all ".class" files
before calling the compiler. If I'm not able to reproduce this
behavior with Ant, they prefer to keep the makefiles.

Does anyone have any idea of how I could reproduce this behavior
using Ant? Any other possible solution?

Thanks in advance,
Leonardo Barros