ant-user mailing list archives

From "Leonardo Abreu de Barros" <leobar...@email.com>
Subject Replacing makefiles
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:34:39 GMT
Hello,

I work in a company that has a long history of using makefiles. We
agreed on testing Ant, but surely everybody needs to be sure that all
features covered by the makefiles will be reproduced by Ant.

I have the following problem: I've read on Ant's documentation that
the <javac> task only compiles files with a different timestamp than
the current related ".class". This obviously can lead to code breaks,
if I change a base class without updating its dependent ones.

Again on the documentation, I've read that because of this,
some "clean builds" are recommended before integrating the new code
to the previous one. The point is that people here don't think this
is reasonable, as the current makefile takes care of it without
having to delete all ".class" first; they declare one by one all java
classes names, and the compiler takes charge of rebuilding those
classes, detecting any eventual code breaks.

Does anybody have an idea of how to reproduce this behavior with Ant?
Thanks,
Leonardo Barros