ant-user mailing list archives

From "Donald Strong" <dstr...@agentissoftware.com>
Subject RE: Replacing Makefiles
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 05:49:11 GMT
Hi Leonardo,

I believe that most of what you want to accomplish can be done using
<depend> and <javac> tasks.

    <!-- remove out-of-date classes -->
    <depend srcDir="${java.src.path}"
            destDir="${classes.dir}"
            cache="${classes.dir}/../depcache" />

The depend task is run just before the javac task.
It will remove any class files that it considers out-of-date.
If you specify closure="true" this will include all classes
that indirectly use the out-of-date class, otherwise it will
only delete classes that directly extend or implement the
out-of-date class. Once the classes are deleted by the depend
task, the javac task will correctly build them.

That mostly solves the following problem and is much more efficient than
recompiling everything.
> They want this behavior in order to detect broken code, due to
> changes on a base class, for example.

The only things it won't do are:
 - delete classes that reference constants in an out-of-date
   class, ie. public final static primitives,
 - delete classes that no longer have a source file,
   ie. the source file has been removed.

The former can not be detected without parsing the source code.
The latter could be resolved if the depend task deleted all classes
that it could not prove were up-to-date, but I don't think that is
how it works.

If you really must rebuild everything, call the javac class directly
using a java task. You might put the java files into a file and
provide the filename as an argument.

        <java classname="com.sun.tools.javac.Main"
                    dir="."
                   fork="true" >
           <classpath >
               <pathelement location="jdk/lib/tools.jar" />
           </classpath>
        </java>

Have a nice day.
Donald.