ant-user mailing list archives

From "Murray, Mike B." <...@ptc.com>
Subject RE: Ant and DOM memory allocation
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 01:34:26 GMT
Switching from JDK 1.3.1 to 1.4.1 seems to have solved similar OutOfMemory problems I was experiencing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Hill [mailto:RHill@classmates.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 1:24 PM
To: 'user@ant.apache.org'
Subject: Ant and DOM memory allocation

I'm using a parent ant file that has a target that sequentially calls
mulitple (15+) <ant antfile... tasks. If I add too many ant antfile task
calls, or run the parent ant file too many times in a row, I get the
following message:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
        <<no stack trace available>>
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
        <<no stack trace available>>

I've looked through the archives and I tried all the VM tweaks, but nothing
works. I'm running Ant 1.5.3, Java 1.3.1 on linux redhat 8.0, have 500MB
RAM, and1GB of swap. Every time I run the ant file, and look at the memory
used, it keeps increasing by a 200 - 300 MB and not getting released.

It seems that all of these xml docs end up as DOM in memory...how/when is
that memory released after the parent ant file exits?

Is anyone else experencing the same issue?...or is this a limitation of
using Ant?

Thanks for any light that anyone can shed on this issue.

Richard Hill