ant-user mailing list archives

From "Harkness, David" <DHarkn...@sonypictures.com>
Subject RE: Trying to get rid of makefiles
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:06:45 GMT
Wow, you've reproduced all the same functionality of makefiles using
Ant, and they're going to get hung up on *one* feature because it
doesn't work *exactly* like the makefile? Sheesh, that's pretty damn
anal retentive. Nevertheless... :)

Do you have multiple sets of .class files mixed into the same directory?
In other words, do you compile two sets of .java files into the same
"classes" directory? If not, then just delete the "classes" dir in your
clean target (very typical behavior). This will be very fast compared to
deleting all of the .class files individually.

Most developers I know view incremental compilation not only as
*standard* but as a positive feature. Change a class, recompile it.
Getting odd build behavior, do a clean build.

As another option, you might want to check out jdepends and the
<depends> task (IIRC). It tracks which classes actually depend on each
other and performs a more thorough incremental build based on timestamps
and the dependency graph. I haven't looked into this as it hasn't been a
big issue on even the bigger projects I've been on.

Anyway, good luck!

David Harkness
Sony Pictures Digital Networks
(310) 482-4756