ant-user mailing list archives

From "Harkness, David" <DHarkn...@sonypictures.com>
Subject RE: default bsedir
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:20:26 GMT
If I'm not mistaken, the standard is to have build.xml at the root of
your project directory:

<project_dir>/
  build.xml
  classes/
  src/
  test/

This way everything is available from "." inside build.xml. I'm not
necessarily recommending you change the location of your build.xml as
this might be a lot of work if you have many large projects, but it is
probably the source of the confusion.

David Harkness
Sony Pictures Digital Networks
(310) 482-4756

-----Original Message-----
From: unmesh joshi [mailto:unmesh_joshi@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 2:58 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: default bsedir

Thanks all!. Actually I was unnecessaryli confused.
The thing was we had definition like this

<property name="build.dir" value="${basedir}_build">
<target name="init"
  <mkdir dir="${build.dir}"/>

Our build file is under <project_dir>/src directory. Above file was in
src dir and used to create a build dir <project_dir>/src_build/...

A sibling of src dir.

This was done i was told because if we create build dir inside srcdir
like src/build/classes  each ant call used to take a lot of time. When
build dir was made sibling the ant calls were too fast and lot of
improvement in the build time.

Thanks,
Unmesh

__matthewHawthorne <mhawthorne@alumni.pitt.edu> wrote:
(From the ant manual:)

basedir =
the base directory from which all path calculations are done. This
attribute might be overridden by setting the "basedir" property
beforehand. When this is done, it must be omitted in the project tag. If

neither the attribute nor the property have been set, the parent
directory of the buildfile will be used.