ant-user mailing list archives

From "Harkness, David" <DHarkn...@sonypictures.com>
Subject RE: Newbie using Ant with Eclipse
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:57:03 GMT
'lo again,

While that does work, I would recommend changing your <jar> task to use
nested filesets. Hopefully other seasoned Ant users on the list can
chime in if this doesn't make sense, but here's my take.

As much as possible, I try to limit duplication and spreading of files
during the build process. When I started on this current project the
<package> target did essentially the following:

  1. delete "dist" directory.
  2. create "dist" directory.
  3. copy "classes" to "dist"
  4. copy several JARs from "../lib" to "dist"
  5. copy "MANIFEST.MF" from "src" to "dist/META-INF"
  6. copy deployment descriptors from "generated" to "dist/META-INF"
  7. jar up "dist" to "dist/packaged.jar"

This worked, but it was a lot of busy work. When you're tweaking a
single file over and over to get something to work, you want the
build-package-deploy loop to be as short as possible. As disks get
fragmented, copying a bunch of files can take a minute.

So I changed the <jar> task to simply pull all the files from their
appropriate directories. The time to package decreased by far more than
half as only one big file was being created rather than a whole lot of
little files. Well, I thought I had some other reason for doing this --
something more fundamental regarding akin to not putting generated files
into source control, but I was thinking of something else. Sheesh, it's
been a long week.

Anyway, I would still use the following in your case:

  <jar jarfile="bin/alpha.jar" basedir=".">
    <fileset dir="classes"/>
    <fileset file="../beta/bin/beta.jar"/>
    <fileset file="../gamma/bin/gamma.jar"/>
  </jar>

It would also allow you to isolate what the problem with ".." was: is it
the includes attribute or something else? As always, YMMV. :)

David Harkness
Sony Pictures Digital Networks
(310) 482-4756