ant-user mailing list archives

From Morten Mortensen <morten.morten...@tietoenator.com>
Subject RE: Carriage-returns in files ends up as "0D 0D 0A"
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:09:48 GMT

...Somewhat relevant - or at least interesting - in a
"end-of-line-format"-discussion is -

http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#sec2.11

That is, a few more variants than the three mentioned seem to exist
(mainframe - MVS-, VAX-based OS'es or something - is my guess - ?).

   :-)

Kind regards,
  Morten Sabroe Mortensen

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Christiansen
To: Ant Users List
Sent: 28-07-03 16:57
Subject: RE: Carriage-returns in files ends up as "0D 0D 0A"

I always thought it was MS-DOS compatible editors terminate text lines
with 0x0D 0x0A, Unix/Linux editors with 0x0A, and MacOS editors with
0x0D.

BTW, you can get this problem (0x0D 0x0D 0x0A line terminators) without
ant's help.

If you use CVS, this problem can occur with the following steps:
1. Checkout (or update) a file on a Linux box.
2. Edit the file using a MS-DOS compatible editor.
3. Commit the changes using the Linux box.
4. Checkout (or update) the file on a Windows box.

Step 2 changes the 0x0A terminator to 0x0D 0x0A. During step 3 no line
ending conversions are preformed, therefore, the 0x0D 0x0A terminator is
saved into the CVS repository (the CVS repository is expecting 0x0A
terminators). During step 4 line ending conversions are preformed
resulting in a 0x0D 0x0D 0x0A ending.

Fortunately the <fixcrlf ...> task detects this problem and corrects it
properly.

-- Nathan Christiansen
   Tahitian Noni International
   http://www.tahitiannoni.com