ant-user mailing list archives

From Jan.Mate...@rzf.fin-nrw.de
Subject RE: Ant Newbie's question to experienced Ants
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 05:10:29 GMT
> I am a java programmer absolutely new to Ant and I want to
> use Ant to do the
> following tasks. Basically I want to do some CVS tasks.
> Before I start I
> want to know whether all of these could be done with Ant:
>

> 1.When I run a build ( build.xml) it should create the
> required jars but
> automatically update the names of the jar files to append the current
> timestamp ( or something very similar ) as the current version tag.

You can use <propertyfile> for increasing a build number or you can
use <tstamp> and use a timestamp.

For jar creation use <jar>.

(Don´t forget testing with <junit> :-)

> 2.It should also update the Manifest file to add the current
> timestamp as to
> reflect the version.

<manifest> as simple task or nested to <jar>.

> 3.Upload the new jar files to the CVS repository and place
> them there as the
> new versions.

There are cvs tasks(<cvs> <cvschangelog>, <cvspass>, <cvstagdiff>),

but - sorry - I´m not familiar with them.

> 4. While all of the above tasks are being done, give out
> details of which
> task is being performed currently.

Ant does that by default. You can change that with different Loggers
and Listeners.

The manual contains details and examples.
If there are questions left, let us know.

Jan