ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: why not conditions on tasks as on targets?
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:58:37 GMT
Just my $0.02 on this issue:  I have never had a need for conditional
tasks.  I do have some places that use conditional targets, but my
build files stay clean and readable.

I've not encountered a scenario that needed the type of conditions that
Dominique needs.  That is not to say that he is doing anything wrong,
just that his needs are more complex than mine I suspect.

I am against Ant becoming a scripting language, but it pretty much
already is if all the ant-contrib stuff is used.  For those types of
needs I suggest folks take a look into the Jython stuff that Jonathan
Simon contributed to the dev e-mail list a month or so ago and invert
their view of Ant.  Let Ant tasks be controlled from outside scripting,
rather than Ant being scripty itself.

I take the same philosophical approach on my JSP development.
Scriptlets are not something I use.  If something requires more complex
logic in JSP, I write a taglib.  If something requires more logic in
Ant, I write a task.  I am, however, very happy to see progress on
making "script" tasks that can be written in
lighter-weight/less-overhead scripting languages and used as
first-class Ant tasks.

	Erik